Monday, May 4, 2009

Let's away to the Renaissance Faire!

Yes, it is time for the long awaited post about the Renaissance Faire. YAAAY to all 2 or 3 of you reading this for sticking it out to post 4! =)



Listen to that as you read this. It sets a mood. =)

So, last sunday (err... a week before yesterday) I went to the Renaissance faire for the first time since last year! It was wonderful. I got to wear my costume, which I love. First, a lady such as myself (ehm... a peasanty wench XD) must put on her chemise. Most girls wear them off the shoulder. Mine is a shirt length unbleached cotton. I want a full length one, but I can make do. Then comes the skirt. Most gals back then would have been stuck with wool, but that's simply too hot for wimpy little me. Mine is floor length cotton. And it's burgundy! To finish off, you simply must wear a bodice. This term is not synonymous with the term "corset." They're not the same thing. A bodice laces up the front and fits over your chemise like a vest. Your chemise sleeves should come out. I usually wear stockings, if for no other reason than the fact that a lot of dirt gets in your shoes and that is not fun to have on your feet. A proper lady should also have her head covered with a hat. Most people go with the muffin caps, which are quite fun, I think.

So, after we got all dressed, we drove (well, I rode) for a couple of hours to Irwindale. And finally we got there. We got there in time to see the opening for the day, which was about their new lady mayor and the fact that her majesty the queen would probably be around to take in the festivities. God save the queen!!!

During the day we got to see cheeky men, funny shows (starring cheeky men), lots of wonderful stuff to buy that I can't afford, and so much more. How often do you get very nearly hooked by a man and second row seats at a joust all in the same day? It's wonderful! And the food... so many things to choose from! I've had a different meal everytime I've been there.

My biggest purchase that day was, as usual, soap from Blythe Spirits. Check them out... I can vouch for the wonderful-ness of their products. =)

Then, this last Saturday, because I'm the sort of person (and I associate with the sort of people) that greatly enjoys days filled with renaissance spirit, we all got dressed in our costumes and watched Shakespeare movies (Much Ado and Hamlet -- my absolute favorites) while eating period appropriate food. My dear friend Diana (the An Cailin Deas Rua to my Buckingham Alice) got all the recipes from Gode Cookery. And my God, it was a feast. =)

And, for the iWant of the day: Adventures of Superman book

No comments:

Post a Comment