Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Long awaited list of musicians (Part 3 and 4)

Trudging on and finally finishing this off! Go here for part 1 and here for part 2.

Day 3:
Amy Winehouse - "Now You Know." I have mixed feelings about her. Her voice is unique, but it's rather deep for my personal taste. That being said, she does have one or two songs I rather like, and this one (which I had never heard before) wasn't bad.


Oasis - "Champagne Supernova." They're a great band, but I haven't listened to them much. I should remedy that soon.

Andy Mckee - "Drifting." He's apparently a solo acoustic guitarist that kinda got his start on Youtube. I actually really rather liked this song.

Blink-182 - "Online Songs." Okay, I love these guys. Their album Enema of The State is so fun and still one of my favorite albums period.

Kid Rock - "American Badass." Okay, this presentation was generally awkward. I'm not a huge fan, and you could read on our teacher's face that he isn't either. And I think the girl may have picked this one because it was less profanity riddled than some others.

Perfect Circle - "Blue." I don't know a lot of their stuff, but this sounded pretty good. The girl who presented though kinda seemed to be stoned. I'm not sure if that's how she always talks (since I hadn't ever talked to her) or if she was under the influence of something, lol.

Ice Cube - "Godfather of Rap." When I think of Ice Cube, I think of him as an actor in movies like Friday, Are We There Yet?, and that kinda recent one with Katt Williams where he and his friend like robbed a church or something... what was that one called, and was it even him? I tend to forget he ever even rapped. So yeah. Lol. My opinion is of no consequence here.

Mariah Carey - "Emotions." Okay, this chick is crazy. But at least she was still sane when she made this song, so I was okay.

U2 - "One." The guy that presented them was one of these returning students. A little older than the rest of us, but not one of those old returning students that have more in common with the near retiring professors than they do with the students. So while he was presenting, he went to explain why he chose U2, and he said it was because when you get a little older, you cherish these oppurtunities to go back to things like music that reminds you of good times.

Death Cab For Cutie - "We Laugh Indoors." They're wonderful. Wonderful indeed.

Billy Joel - "The Stranger." This was me! I talked about how he mixes styles in his music and about how The Stranger is an amazing record. I talked a bit about the song... overall it was fun. Easy and not stressful.

Depeche Mode - "People Are People." This was a little on the weird side for me. I mean, they're certainly not bad, but they've never been my cup of tea.

Rick James - "Fired Up." Best presentation of all. The guy was so funny... he did a lot of dancing and singing along, and editorializing. I think he may have been on something too, but it was funny none the less, lol.

Tupac - "Ambitions of a Rider" and "Keep Your Head Up." She played a clip of both songs. While she was speaking, my mind kept wandering to Dave Chappelle's skit about Tupac songs. That was funny.

Jack Johnson - "Angel." I love him! His music is so beautiful and relaxing. I was happy to hear that she was presenting him.

Dream Theater - "Blind Faith." They're this fairly indie metal band. No offense to any metal heads, but a lot of metal sounds alike to me, and I was kinda tuned out anyways because their name reminded me of the song "Dream Police" (by Cheap Trick) and that started playing in my head.

Day 4:
Elton John - "Rocket Man." I was happy to hear him. He is, after all, Billy Joel's tour partner.

No Doubt - "Underneath It All." I love them, I really do. But I rather prefer their older, pre Rock Steady stuff, so I was disappointed in her song choice.

Kenny Chesney - "I Go Back." I like him... and he's quite handsome too. =) I didn't know this song though. It really wasn't bad.

Prince - "When Doves Cry." This was a good way to end things. Prince is an odd little man, but his in the 80s was pretty great. And this is one of my favorites from him. "Maybe I'm just like my father - too bold." Good lyric. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment