Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Musings on Music.

It's after midnight and it's now June 16th. For those of you that don't know, the Jonas Brothers' fourth album Lines, Vines, and Trying Times will be coming out. I'm quite the JB fan... that's no secret. But what is something of a secret... something I haven't said to anyone... I'm not all that excited about this new album. Why? Possibly because it seems so soon after their last album. Possibly because Ashley's album (which I was VERY excited about) was also supposed to come out today but it got pushed back. Possibly because I want to keep listening to all my 60s music and not have to bother with learning new music (lol).

But if you know me, you know that I also adore the All-American Rejects. I took delight in the fact that I found a lot of similarities between these two bands.


1. Both of them have (had) three albums.

2. For both bands, I got their second albums first (at Target) then got their first online.
3. I saw both of them live for the first time in 2008.
4. I saw both of them live at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Irvine, CA.
5. I rushed to get both bands' third albums as soon as they were out because I had waited impatiently for both albums.
6. Both of those third albums came out in 2008, both were delayed past their original release date. And because of my obsessiveness, I ended up with two copies of both.
7. The first time I heard these bands (so long ago) I didn't much care for them, but they grew on me.
8. Both of them had songs on the soundtrack to the movie Meet The Robinsons.


...And clearly you can see this is something I thought a lot about, because I do have much too much time on my hands. Maybe I'm not quite as excited about LVATT as I was about the last JB record because this was screw up my list of JB and AAR similarities.


But don't get me wrong. I will be getting this new JB album, and I'm sure I'll like it as much I liked the previous ones. The excitement will probably hit me in the morning when I'm out buying it.


Just to compare... this is how excited I was while buying their album last year:


Well, on a completely unrelated note, I mentioned 60s music earlier, didn't I? That's what I've been listening to a lot lately. I recently got the Beatles Rubber Soul album... it's so good. I thought they could never have a better album than Sgt. Pepper's, but that one is giving it a run for it's money, in my opinion. I also downloaded John Lennon's 1964 demo of the song "Free As A Bird." He sounded so young and uncomplicated. I also picked up the 1994 version with John's demo and the (then) three surviving Beatles voices added on. That song is so much better than I would have expected.

I also got a couple more Bob Dylan songs. My God, that man is amazing. I just... wow. I wish I had been around in the 60s. I would have been the cheapest groupie in town. The musicians then were such artists to a level that no one really is now. I'm not saying there aren't some great acts around right now, but the craftsmanship of those old albums is startling.

I would go on about random different artists I like, but I've babbled enough. See you rock fans later. =)

iWant of the day: to get this freaking song out of my head!

1 comment:

  1. I'd say something totally interesting but I'm way too tired. Lol. What song?

    That's freaky, about the sim....oh forget it. I'll come back and say something coherant. =D ttyl.

    ReplyDelete