Saturday, March 12, 2011

Nancy Drew (long epic post - Pt. 2)

So when we left off, I had found out all about the past Nancy Drew history. And I had chosen not to use my knowledge at all really, except for the fact that I like to know things. (When I feel smart for knowing useless trivia, it's just one more thing to congratulate myself on.)

Anyways, I hadn't purchased any vintage Nancy Drews or reprints or anything. In fact, I had almost completely forgotten about it. And then, one day when I was on my American Girl message board, I saw a little discussion about Molly's mini Nancy Drew book, and that brought her back to my mind.

And the very next time I was looking for Baby-Sitters Club books, I found a seller on eBay with this amazingly extensive selection of children's books. I grabbed a few BSC books, a couple Magic Attic books, a Sweet Valley book, and finally, an Applewood Nancy Drew reprint. In my research, I noticed that for whatever reason, the Applewood reprints can fetch high prices (higher than actual original vintage copies, in some cases!), so when I saw this book for BIN $3, I had to snap it up.

Now, it doesn't have a dust jacket, but I don't mind too much. In fact, when I've got some more ink in my printer, I might DIY it. The book I got is #10, The Password to Larkspur Lane. It's pretty wonderful.

A few days ago, for a laugh, I looked up Nancy Drew on the 'bay again. I found a really good looking, original text copy of #25, The Ghost of Blackwood Hall for $10. It even has the dust jacket. And, so yes, I'm getting that one too. It's on the way now, actually.

And there's a six book set of the first six Applewood reprint mysteries I've got my eye on. Direct from Applewood the set is around $75. Kinda ouch, right? I mean, it's not that much, but I'm poor and I collect dolls. And I, you know, want to eat and feed my cats and that sort of thing. *sigh* So, I've decided to ask for it for my birthday. But you know what? I looked the set up on Amazon... and as you may guess, you can get it there for a deep discount! And my dear mother, who's generally willing to follow me at least part way down any rabbit hole because it's just easier that way, said she's willing to buy it for me next time she has some spare cash! So that's something to look forward to.

So that's the end of the saga for now. And, in case you're worried, I'm not going to start any sort of serious Nancy Drew collecting. There's too much to collect and I get caught up in it easily. Nancy can be a sort of side hobby. For now anyways. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment