Monday, April 1, 2019

Merry Misfits Book Club: March: The Adventures of Mickey Mouse

Yes, I know it is already April.  Life has been kicking my ass, sue me, lol.  Anyways, the theme for March was a good book to read while it's raining.  I like that, nice and broad... but since I'm a dumbass, I saw the theme for another group's monthly discussion and got my wires crossed, so I spent most of the month thinking the theme was lore.  I was planning to read the first Percy Jackson book, even got a beautiful illustrated copy of it from the library, but since I didn't have time to get to it and it turned out not to be necessary for the theme (but I'll still make a post on it if I do get around to reading it... I really want to) I turned it back in to the library after not being able to renew it.  Just picked something else because improvising!  Anyways, as you all know, I love Disney.  On a whim, I bought a copy of The Adventures of Mickey Mouse for $4.  Somehow it became my March book, lol.


This is a 1978 reprint of a children's book from 1931.  I thought it was going to just be like a quick little story book, but it's over 100 pages (although there are illustrations on each one) because it actually combines three vintage story books in one, and the last one was a chapter book.  The Mickey in this book is very different from the character we see in more modern Mickey cartoons.  He's almost like a little farm boy, and he's very adventurous and enterprising.  It's kind of a cross between his depiction in the early black and white Mickey shorts and the way Floyd Gottfredson wrote him in the comics.  The most memorable thing about this book, though, is the charming art work.  That alone makes this worth the price of admission for any Disney fan.

My goodreads review this month is very brief but like... what more could I really say? Lol.  Just follow me on goodreads.

Started this book on March 31st and finished on April 1st.  Quick read.

Would I recommend this book?  If you're a Disney fan, sure.  Otherwise, probably not.  Actually, you need to be a Disney fan who likes kids books.

No comments:

Post a Comment