Friday, April 27, 2018

12 meses, 12 libros: March: Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

(Yes, I know March has been over for a while.  I'm doing this late because I got sidetracked by life and other projects so it took me AAAAAGES to finish this book, and that's not a reflection on the quality of the book, jsyk just fyi.  I did read and finish books in March -- at least one also fit this theme, so I'm not technically cheating... just arriving slowly lol.)

March's theme was a literary classic, so I decided to go for one of the two Austen books I'd never read yet (yes, I'm a bad Jane-ite lol): Northanger Abbey.



(I included an actual cover of the book as well as the cover of the Jane Austen collection I own and used to read this book.)

I didn't really know a lot about this book when I began reading it... it isn't as much a part of pop culture as some of Austen's other works (Pride & Prejudice and Emma especially) so I had heard a couple of the character names and the words "gothic" and "horror." I didn't really know what to expect, but honestly I picked this over Mansfield Park to read because it was shorter.  That being said, as soon as I got into it I knew I would like it, and I did.  It's different than some of her other works, and even though I have read enough of them to have realized there can be a pattern, I don't feel that this followed a pattern, and I didn't always predict what was coming next. 

It was fun though, and I'm looking forward to watching one or two film adaptations. ;)

I read this book from March 27th to 29th, then took a break and finished it between April 16th and April 27th.  It's not a long or difficult book, I just ended up reading slowly because I've also been working on Camp NaNoWriMo, and since I owned this book I prioritized it lower than a couple of more time sensitive library books.

Bottom line, would I recommend this? Definitely!  Especially if you're an Austen fan like me and you haven't gotten to it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment