Friday, April 27, 2018

12 meses, 12 libros: April: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

(I wrote this post a couple of weeks ago, just after I finished the book, but I didn't want to publish it until after I'd posted about my March book.)

The theme for April was a borrowed book, which since most of the stuff I read is from the library it's all borrowed, so it was all Gucci.  So anyways, as the title suggests, I read Children of Blood and Bone by Toni Adeyemi, which is actually a pretty recent book (I believe it came out in February or March?).


I really enjoyed this book.  It appealed to me because it was this blend of sci-fi and fantasy but it's firmly rooted in African tradition and mythology.  The story is compelling and emotional too.  There's also some social commentary in here that you will get if you're paying attention to the real life climate in which it was written.  It was something different and something moving, and I'd encourage everyone to support this book, since the author is a young black woman who seems to really be going places.  This book was definitely better than your average debut novel.  I could have maaaybe done without the romance (though it didn't feel forced and it wasn't distracting, I'm just a bitter bitch and was also hoping romance would bloom between the two female leads instead) but if you're not super into romance I wouldn't let that discourage you.  It's not a huge deal, and the romantic stuff is never shown as more important than the hero's journey.

I started this on April 4th and finished it April 13th.  It's long, but once you get going it's a pretty quick read.  It only took me as long as it did because I had other stuff going on and didn't get to really dive into it like I wanted.

Bottom line, would I recommend this book to a friend? Abso-frickin-lutely.  I really enjoyed it, and I would recommend it to pretty much anyone... especially if you love fantasy and/or Afrofuturism.

No comments:

Post a Comment