Sunday, July 19, 2009

Old Time Radio

This blog is brought to you by Jell-O brand gelatin dessert - look for the box with the beig red letters spelling J-E-L-L-O!- and Phillip Morris - America's most pleasurable cigarette!

There's nothing better than laying in bed awake (as I usually am in bed) and listening to a little old time radio. Last night I listened to this great episode of "The Whistler" about this man who worked in accounting firm with his brother and their partner. The man was framed for juggling the books and went to prison for 15 years. While he was locked up, he realized that the partner had to be behind framing him, and when he was released he decided to take revenge. He found out that the partner had a heart condition, and he pursued him for almost the entire episode - scaring him death. His brother finally came in with a gun saying he'd kill either of them if they had evidence to pin that crime on him. So revenge was taken on the wrong man.

Another radio program I love is called "My Favorite Husband." It stars Lucille Ball as Liz Cooper and Richard Denning as her husband George. This show is a predecessor to "I Love Lucy", which is one of my all-time favorite shows. I have seasons 1 and 2 of Lucy on DVD and there are quite a few radio episodes among the special features, and I've been listening to them again here lately.

Some other radio shows I enjoy include: Superman, Fibber McGee and Molly, The Great Gildersleeve, The Life of Riley, Baby Snooks, Granby's Green Acre, Burns and Allen, Martin and Lewis, Milton Berle, Our Miss Brooks, CBS Mystery Theater, The Whisperer, and Dr. Ben Casey.

But my all-time favorite radio program is My Friend Irma. This is an under-appreciated sitcom about a smart, serious, straight laced girl named Jane Stacy and her roommate Irma Peterson. Irma and Jane are exact opposites... while Irma is very sweet and lovable, she isn't particularly bright and can be easily swindeled. Poor Jane is in love with her boss - Mr. Richard Rylander, and every time he comes around Irma embarrasses Jane. Irma's boyfriend Al is something of a con-artist... he always tricks her into getting involved in his latest plan to avoid getting a job by telling her that they'll get married as soon as he gets enough money. And his pet name for her is Chicken... she thinks it's cute.

So yes... I love old time radio. I like coming up with a mental image to go along with what I'm hearing. I love the extremely cheesy commericals within the program... I love all the 1940s lingo. I love hearing the characters telling you to save gas and use your ration stamps wisely. It's a wonderful way to waste time.



And remember to call for Phillip Morris and look for the box with the big red letters!

No comments:

Post a Comment