Sunday, February 23, 2020

Merry Misfits Book Club (Year Two): January: Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

This year, I'm not doing a traditional reading challenge like I have done these last couple of years... I feel bad about that, because I kind of enjoyed having a theme and picking a book to fit it, but it's just been so stressful as I have not had the time.  I hate not having enough time to read enough, but... you know.  Capitalism, lol.  Anyways... I am still doing the book club I joined last year, but it's been kind of revamped.  Last year, it was similar to the reading challenges in that we'd have a theme and then pick a book to fit it.  This year it's a more traditional book club -- we all read one of a couple of different books and are free to discuss.

January's book was Howls' Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.  I listened to the audiobook of it.


I picked this over the other selection because of the Ghibli movie.  Even though the book is quite different than the movie, I really enjoyed it.  The characterization and world building will really draw you in.  The narrator of the audiobook (I forget her name) had a really enchanting voice that fit the story so perfectly.  I might eventually go back and check out the sequels.  I don't have a lot to say about the book other than the fact that I enjoyed it and definitely recommend it.  Makes me want to re-watch the movie, lol.

I'm going to be doing a more casual format with these book posts and try to make more formal reviews on Goodreads.  Follow me there for more incoherent thoughts, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment