Thursday, November 7, 2019

DYRC 19: October: Like Sisters on the Homefront by Rita Williams-Garcia

The theme for October was young adult.  Obviously there's millions of YA books out there, many of them very fun, many of which I have not read.  What I was mainly looking for was something about people (preferably women) of color and a story that was NOT a romance.  I do like romance, but so many YA romances are predictable and super straight.  Anyways, I didn't have anything specific in mind, so I went to the library and grabbed the first thing that really stood out to me -- Like Sisters on the Homefront by Rita Williams-Garcia.


It took me a while to get into this book because it took me a while to get into this book because it took me a while to get to like the main character Gayle.  She's a very obnoxious teenager, and her naivete about certain things is not so much endearing as it is annoying.  She's 14 and has a baby, and when she ends up pregnant again she thinks this is a good thing (and resents her mother for making her have an abortion).  But over the course of the story, I came to understand more why Gayle was the way she was, and eventually I really liked her as a character.  I got really engrossed in the story and I just wanted the best for Gayle and her cousin Cookie.  I ended up crying a lot at the end... I got super invested in the story and the characters.  I'm glad I read it!

This is my Goodreads review.  Insert usual spiel about how you should follow me, lol.

I read this book between October 30th and November 4th.  Almost on track, lol.  🎉

Would I recommend this book? Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment