Monday, October 15, 2018

12 meses 12 libros: September: A Study in Scarlet/The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Yes, this is really late.  Life happens though, lol.  The theme for September was a work by a classic author.  That's a pretty broad category, and there are a lot of classics out there I had yet to have a chance to read.  I decided on a Sherlock Holmes book because, despite loving the character and owning a massive collection of the stories for like 20 years I had never actually read any.  (I know, for shame.)  I wanted to read The Hound of the Baskervilles since that is one of the most iconic and celebrated pieces in ACD Holmes canon, but then I also wanted to read A Study in Scarlet, since that was the character's debut and it made sense to start there.  Luckily my library had a copy with both in one volume!


 (I included covers for the version I read as well as individual covers for each story.)I really really enjoyed both these stories.  They're both very different in their plot and pacing, but the tone is consistent between the two.  There were times when I just had to put the book down and sit and think, "Wow.  That was so good!"  I enjoyed it so much, I will definitely be reading more Holmes stories.

I started reading this on September 26 and finished on October 11.  The length of time it took me to read a measly 300 pages doesn't reflect on the quality of the stories... I was just busy, depressed, and also took a couple days off between the two stories to read something else, lol.  Do I not get credit for the fact that it's technically two books though? Lol.

Would I recommend this book to a friend? Of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment