Monday, June 25, 2018

12 meses 12 libros: June: Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

The theme for this month was a genre you've never read before.  Over my years, I've read a lot of different stuff, and I've honestly dabbled in most genres, so I decided to go with sci-fi, since it's something I've read little of.  A youtuber I like mentioned reading Dark Matter by Blake Crouch last year, and it sounded interesting, so I decided that would be my sci-fi pick.  However right before I began the book, I realized that a lot of its reviewers describe it as sort of genre bending -- it's a sci-fi thriller.  So that fits even more than planned.


I liked this book a lot.  It was engaging and NOT predictable, which is a combination that always leads to a book I can't put down.  As I mentioned, I haven't read a lot of sci-fi, but this was definitely a book you wouldn't need to be a huge sci-fi fan to enjoy.  I'd also say you wouldn't even need to be a huge thriller fan... so long as you like compelling stories with really well fleshed out and believable characters you would probably enjoy this book.  It was a story that made me think (both about it and about myself... and life in general) and when I got to the end, I wanted more.  The ending was satisfying, but everything was good enough that I could have happily read more.

I started this book on June 22 and finished on June 25.  It's longish, but honestly it's a fast read, especially if you get kind of sucked into it.

Bottom line, would I recommend this book to a friend? Definitely!  I might even read more of Blake Crouch's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment