Wednesday, March 25, 2020

animal crossing: gateway to friendship

I mentioned a while ago in this previous post about Pokemon that I had gotten invested in Animal Crossing and was looking forward to the new game, New Horizons.  The game was released (and I received my preordered copy) on March 20th, the same day my job officially closed down due to the Coronavirus statewide lockdown.  I have honestly spent much of my time playing this game, and words can hardly describe how comforting this game has been -- how fun, how wonderful a way to pass time, and how oddly motivating I've found it.

I didn't grow up with Animal Crossing... I picked up the 3DS game New Leaf just last year because life was going bad and I needed a distraction, and this series looked cute. The fact that you're free to play at your own pace and set your own goals really appealed to me.  You're always accomplishing something, no matter how small.  The fact that your villagers notice when you don't check into town regularly really touched my dark little heart.

I preordered the new game, and since I haven't been working, I've had a lot of time to play it.  I don't know how to explain it, lads... it just feels good.  I saw a post that said that Animal Crossing is really just about vibing... and I think that's it, lol.

Because I wasn't able to fully explain how I feel about the series, here are some excellent youtube videos that give you more and better info and things to think about.  The first one by Cygnus Destroyer is especially relatable to me because his history with the franchise is very similar with my own.

Find the thing that brings you the kind of peace Animal Crossing brings its fans.  Even if it is temporary, that's better than nothing.






No comments:

Post a Comment