Saturday, September 3, 2011

If you can't be with the one you love...

... love the one who's not going to try to kill you.

I recently found out that a very dear, old friend got hurt really badly because of her boyfriend. I'm ashamed to say that I got a funny vibe from him but didn't say anything to her because I didn't feel it was my place. He had been violent in the past and others had expressed concern but no one got anywhere with her.

I understand when you care about someone you're more likely to overlook flaws, but a dangerous personality is something far worse than a little bad habit.

I'm alone... no boyfriend. Sometimes I think to myself, "okay, I'm getting desperate" but I am not so desperate that I'd be willing to deal with someone who I didn't feel safe with. But even as I say this, I know that my friend was not desperate when she met this guy. She doesn't have to settle. Maybe she rushed in... maybe he hid his temper. I don't know.

When something like this happens, it makes me not want to trust anyone ever again. But that's not a healthy attitude. It is smart, however, to be on your guard.

If anyone happens to be reading this that is with someone that has shown signs of a violent or aggressive temperament, don't take any chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment